The Old South Meeting House

The Old South Meeting House was the largest gathering spot in Boston in the colonial days. Built as a Puritan meeting house in 1729, it was nearly destroyed in the 1872 Great Fire. For the largest public discussions, the Old South Meeting House was used when Faneuil Hall was filled to capacity. Most notably, public meetings were held re- garding the arrival of tea which was eventually dumped into Boston Harbor in the Boston Tea Party (cover story). Days after the Boston Massacre in 1770, Samuel Adams led public discussion which led to the removal of British troops from the town (B39). Located at 310 Washington St, the museum is open daily from 9:30-5 through October 31 and 10:00-4 November-March.   

Downtown Boston:

 

Greater Boston (10 Sites):